Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Big 3 'O'


This time, it feels different from a decade ago when I graduated from teenagehood into the small 2-0. I think back then, it was just a childish lament of not being "something-teen years old" anymore, and dreading the impending boring work-life of adulthood. There were probably more uncertainties in terms of where I'd be working, when I can afford my first car, the places I'd go and the people I'd meet after graduation. Time seemed unlimited, in a way.

And now, 10 years have passed. I love my job, and enjoyed (most) the past ones. But things didn't exactly turn out the way I'd have liked. But hey, God knows the best for us. :) I won't say I'm jaded, no; just less naive and calmer, perhaps. I am still rather easily awed at God's creation in nature, and feel like I can 'hear' God better now... having more conversations with Him as I go along (still learning and hopefully a long way ahead, ha!). I think I'm also more aware of the reality that appearances often don't count for much, and try to be more forgiving or gracious towards people.

Still don't have that car, house, golden retriever nor partner (...yet! Ha!), but humbled at the numerous opportunities to see that I really don't need all these. (Ok, travelling is one thing that I pray God will continue to provide! :P)

If I have to sum up my 20s in 3 words, I think I'd choose:
1. Grateful - For good and faithful friends, salvation of my beloved Ah Ma, opportunities at work and now, school!

2. Clarity - Surer of what I'd like to do for a job and slightly clearer of what will bring me satisfaction (but not without internal struggles of wishing I'm better paid...! Ha).

3. Painful - Honestly, can't give thanks for the broken heart, but I can give thanks to God for His faithfulness to bring me through one of the darkest periods of my life and providence of great friends who walked with me - which leads back to point 1! :)

So, now that the BIG 3-0 is coming up and I've to say bye to my 20s, I thought of doing something different to celebrate my coming of "age" (ha-ha!).

For friends who'd like to celebrate for me, instead of buying me presents or dinners, I'd like to suggest the option of passing that blessing forward to someone else in need. It could be a donation to a not-for-profit organisation such as these with causes close to my heart:
(a) ACRES (a safe haven for one of my ex-pets)
(b) Maiti Nepal (meaning 'My Mother's Home', a rescue org against sex slavery and human trafficking)
(c) YongEn Care Centre (also a daycare centre for dementia patients).

You can give to a missionary whom you have a burden for, or a more challenging and meaningful task would be to catch up with a long-lost friend (or someone you feel like you should speak with but never got round to doing it) over coffee or a meal and bless that person with an encouragement/prayer (Facebook chat doesn't count!).

Well, it doesn't end there! I'd love to then treat you to a coffee/ice-cream/cake/hawker centre meal (wahahha) and hear your story. =)

Game? We gotta get out of our comfort zone once in a while to reach greater heights! ;)

And for now, happy last-month-of-being-29 to me. :D

Afternote: The big crossover takes place on 22 Aug. Ha!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

JM!! age is only a number!! Gd thing bout being in the UK is tt every1 thought JG is stil in her 20s :D Hooray!!

Howz the classes?

Oh, wont be getting u Playmobil this yr, but stil, xpect smth in the post as D-Day draws nearer!!

Critical yr for JG this yr and hopefully He can help me although JG is stil looking for more faith

RightO. Not going to turn a comment into an email!!

Woof!!

Anonymous said...

Hi.
Great idea indeed as in to pass the blessings on. Yes, will pass it on to a needy mission family. Will get that cup of coffee from you soon!!!! Lol

Jo said...

Love your post. Would definitely want to make your wish come true. Thanks for doing this!

zb said...

you are way cool! love the idea and will have get that kopi from you soon!

Connie said...

That's awesome!!!

n that it's not all talk but no action. :)

which is what most of us tend to do. :P

I'll claim my kopi from you real soon too; within the next 3 mths that is.

choops said...

heh, thanks for your support, galz!!! I shall take up these challenges myself too... Just donated to Maiti Nepal. Now I shall find that missionary and long-lost friend...or brother. =]