Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Camille

When I was at Musée Rodin in Paris, I came across a poster of this sculpture, Le Valse (Waltz), by Camille Claudel at the gift shop. The details in her sculptures were what caught my eye.

My personal favourite. Something wistful about it, I feel. Various versions, slight variations in the pose, drapery and material used.


Didn't enter Camille's exhibition due to time and money constraints, but I thought her works were pretty impressive, although she was a student of Rodin (the guy who did the Thinker) -- and at the same time, lover and confidante. (He was quite immoral, methinks; since he already had a long-time wife whom he didn't want to divorce. I'd say he was one big cause of Camille's depression and -- perhaps, self -- banishment in an asylum for 20 years. Not viewing Rodin in the same way again, man.) Quite sad that she's always linked with with Rodin in her biographies on the websites I've read about her. Her Dad should be mentioned more, who supported her passion in the arts.

Dance is an amazing creation by God. Usual movements of limbs and body can become so beautiful in smooth execution. I wished I could dance like that.

No comments: