I don't own a Coach
No, not literally the kind that is pulled by horses, nor that which turns into pumpkin at midnight. It's the kind that is carried by 8 out of 10 ladies whom I see every day at the MRT station and meeting rooms, and which costs hundreds (maybe even thousand?) of dollars.
I don't know when, but I realise lately that I (finally) recognise branded Coach bags, wallets, sling bags, pouch... And I begin to feel self-conscious with my only trusted leather handbag or my big, old sling bags. I start to recognise brands, like the famous flower end-tip branded pen that plays more a decorative and status showoff purpose in the breast pocket than for scribbling numbers on a paper.
"You are not your namecard."
I read that in a women's magazine, which was talking about women who chose a different path and are doing something that is more meaningful to them than what they were previously doing. But if I do remember, many of those featured women has 'been there, done that' already, before they could afford to call it quits and try to save the world.
It seems easy to be sucked into the worldly system and turn into a material girl. Or for feeling bad about NOT being able to be one yet. Status, corporate leader, recognition, fatter paychecks, protocols ... essentially - THE system. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
I want to feel confident about who I am within, than whom I appear to be to others. I want to know that I am making a difference in people's lives by what I am doing through my work, or through my contact with others. It should not be done just for show, or to have to watch my back or scramble over others just so that I get praised and be at the front.
Anyways. I hope God can bring my skills to other places where I can be ... organic maybe. Without the unnecessary and artificial chemicals, and just be me. But can we really escape THE system?
I'm breaking out and losing more weight, I suspect. =/ Don't ask. Don't comment. Don't even THINK about it. Or else I'll tell you I need to puke now.
Saturday, November 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well I don't think you need to be worried about falling prey to the 'system'. It's actually much worse in HK, I think. On the other hand, the women who buy big brands are probably (I hope) treating their possessions as luxuries that they've earned. It's actually when schoolgirls, schoolboys and whatnot buy things they and their parents can ill afford that things get disgusting. Speaking of which, so what's up the crazy bodily changes! :(
Some things need no comparison... it's the same 'evil' regardless of any relativity... anyways. i finally bot a weighing scale, and i was right. The needle was pointing to about 1-2 kg less than what i was a few mths ago. I'm gona try checking out a sinseh and see if it works... maybe i shld retire already.
Post a Comment