Tuesday, June 10, 2003

The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery




'Please,' he said, 'tame me!'

'I should like to,' replied the little prince, 'but I don't have much time. I have friends to discover and many things to understand.'

'One only ever understands what one tames. People no longer have the time to understand anything. They buy everything ready-made from the shops. But there is no shop where friends can be bought, so people no longer have friends. If you want a friend, tame me!'

'What do I have to do?' said the little prince.

'You have to be very patient,' replied the fox. 'First, you will sit down a short distance away from me, like that, in the grass. I shall watch you out of the corner of my eye and you will say nothing; words are the source of misunderstandings. But each day you may sit a little closer to me.'

        ... ...

'Goodbye,' said the fox. 'Now here is my secret, very simply: you can only see things clearly with your heart. What is essential is invisible to the eye.'

No comments: