Lesson from Tort #1
One of the two tortoises in my house had been sick - for quite a while. But it was only discovered about 3-4 weeks ago, when I saw that its eyes were not able to open even though it was awake in the day. I was quite shocked and googled for a trustworthy reptile specialist vet that I could bring it to.
Apparently it had been malnourished somewhat over a period of time (probably years of just simple, pretty standard veg). Seriously, torts should just be left alone in the wild, where they'd have a balanced diet with a variety of food available. Vet prescribed jabs, and even though it was a cold-blooded creature and unable to protest vocally, I felt bad poking needles into it 'cos it must have hurt. Being visual creatures, it didn't eat but only drank some water when I soaked it in warm water for a while each morning. After three trips to the vet's, it continued to deteriorate and today, it finally is gone... =/
Even though I don't claim it as my pet (my Dad bought it about a decade ago), these past few weeks of being a pet caregiver made me hopeful for its recovery and prayed that it would be one of the fortunate 50% of cases that would survive such conditions. When I discovered that it had died, I know that I shouldn't keep pets. Yet, physical death is an easier and cleaner matter to deal with.
Sad thing is, I'm one of the culprits who caused its premature death. I didn't take ownership of it even though I knew nobody else really did. I could have made a difference (without procrastination) -- and where I am now or will be, this is one lesson that I'm reminded of.
There's still Tort #2, looking healthier but I shall not take chances. Hopefully it will outlive me...! Ha.
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Marpig used to have a birdie and 2 guppies eons ago but after they died, Marpig vowed never to have pets as she doesnt want anymore animals to die "at her hands". U r right, animals should be left where they are most happy and free. To keep them even as pets all boils down to selfishness in another sense.
RIP poor tort #1!!
ooo... poor old tort... i hope tort2 won't be too lonely... feed him lizards and guppies.... that's what my bro did for our terrapins... hmmmm, come to think of it, where on earth did they go to?
Post a Comment