Monday, May 25, 2009

Holiday with God

Just went for an 'Encounter Retreat', and it was good! Learnt new things about sin, root of bitterness, breaking generation bondages, curses, power of the cross, etc. Hardest part of the retreat, but also the highlight, was a profiling we had to do with our assigned facilitator, where we had to be honest before God and renounce/seek forgiveness for each past sin that He revealed. Spiritual springcleaning, I'd say.

One thing I learnt that impressed upon me was the lesson on the root of bitterness. When I judge in bitterness, I sow seeds of bitterness that take root in me. Like how I judge others, I will also be judged in the same way I have judged in my bitterness and in unforgiveness.

"Do not judge lest you be judged yourselves. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it shall be measured to you." Matthew 7:1-2

Bitter roots are our sinful responses to things that happened to us, and they infect the mind with expectancies. It is a psychological practice and habit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, by which we 'push' people to fulfil our picture of the way things will go / how they will treat us. Just like how a seed sown produces more seeds/fruits, if not uprooted, this seed of bitterness will spring forth to bring worse consquences.

"See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled." Hebrews 12:15

And thinking through, it makes sense. The thing that I judge others for, I myself fall into it. But best part is, God's love far surpasses all these.

"...just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. In Him, we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace which He lavished on us." Ephesians 1:4-8

Somehow, I think the retreat brought me a new level of understanding of the indescribable, assuring love of God and His gentleness. A refreshing experience that God knows I needed.
"This was in accordance with the eternal purpose which He carried out in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have boldness and confident access through faith in Him." Ephesians 3:11-12

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, u go girl! You make me so proud of you! Every step you take closer to the Lord, you'll find that He's already done everything possible to come so close to you.. Love you girl *hugs*