... in a lift for the first time today!! In a library just next to my workplace - of just 5 floors! Sheet. I think this shall be the start of my formal recording of the suayness in my life.
I was just going to get two books for reference and for reading while lunching alone. And I had actually thought how lucky I was that the library was just a road across from my workplace and that the books I wanted are available (only one out of two copies out on loan). Finally, not so suay after all.
But, as they say, "Don't count your eggs before they are hatched."
I climbed from 1st to 2nd and then finally to the 4th floor, but couldn't find the books/section. Silly place, only lift and stairs. Never mind, I'll try level 2 again - or so I'd thought. Then as the lift door closed on me, the number '3' started skipping and the arrow kept pointing up! Maybe I should have taken the warning when the button '2' didn't light up when I first pressed it. Now none of the buttons are working!
I used my handphone to call the emergency "24 hours" service line, hoping to do some Self Help here --
"I'm sorry, we are unable to attend to your call now. Please leave your message and contact number after the beep." *BEEP*
".................." *&(*^%$^&^&!!!
Finally after pressing the alarm repeatedly, a voice came through the intercomm --
"Hello, how many of you in there?"
"One!!"
"Ok, the technician will come in 45 minutes."
"45 MINUTES????!!!"
"Ya...."
!!!! "Hey!! Hello!?!"
"..............."
Crap! My imagination started running wild. Am I gonna suffocate? Will the lift drop all the way down to Basement like in the movies?? Will the lights go out?? Will the technician come 45 hours later?! HELP!!!
Not good. I took off my jacket and shifted to the other side of the door where it felt like more air was coming in. Checked my phone -- no reception! Oh man, am I gonna die alone here!?!? Checked for reception again. Yes! But weak and random.
I tried calling Jo but she didn't pick up. Then the signal went out. I then messaged her SOS, hoping the sending would complete before the signal went out again. I resigned to my fate and sat down, thinking how the hostages might have felt - alone and calls for help hitting the walls (literally, in my case). Then I sent a message out to tell my colleague I'm gonna go back late 'cos I'm stuck in lift; to ZB to pray for help to come faster; to my mom to thank her for taking care of me all these years and sorry that I can't repay her 'cos I'm gonna waste my youth away here...... sob.
A REPLY! Jo asked if I needed her to call anyone. I told her to call the library and complain. She did, and said they asked her how old I was. Ha. But seriously, I can't imagine a poor old lady or man stuck in the lift for 45 MINUTES! =( Or a poor kiddo! Grrr.
God, why am I going through this??? Ok, just You and me now. All right, I'll try to give thanks.
- Thank You that I've got air coming in.
- Thank You there's light.
- Thank You I'm not feeling urgent or poopy.
- Thank You I'm not starving yet.
- Thank You I'm not claustrophobic.
- Thank You there's no freak stuck with me.
- Thank You there's help coming.
- Thank You I don't need to work.
- Thank You I've got a handphone and there's some kind of signal.
- Thank You the intercomm worked for a while.
One more thing that I'm thankful for -- the library did what they promised! Indeed, help came 45 minutes later. -__-
The lift door opened at Basement and a mom and her two kids wanted to come in. I told them the lift was spoilt and I just came out after half an hour. They scooted off in fear.
I went out and saw a staff shelving books. I told her that the lift is spoilt and that they should stop the lift to prevent anyone from going in. She said someone is looking into it already. I said, but some people just tried entering it. She said the customer service already made an announcement. I repeated that some people are still trying to use the lift and that they should STOP the lift and people from going in. I just came out from that spoilt lift after 30 minutes! (Does she understand that I was THE victim!) She said, Yah it always happens; people often get trapped in there for 30 minutes. Customer Service is looking into it; there's nothing I can do; I'm only shelving books here. "Well, that's very helpful!"
Arghz. I complained to the other staff on my way out and she said she herself was stuck in there for 30 minutes before! Apparently she told Jo earlier that the technician needs time to travel, there could be traffic jam along the way, blah blah. At least she apologised. I almost wanted to ask her to help me find my books. Sigh. Are we really bound by the circumstances and "there's nothing I can do"?
Frustrated. Even the straw didn't out of the dispenser at where I had lunch after my ordeal. Shall I tell the aunty manning the counter? Forget it, I shall stop poking my nose into spoilt matters.
I hope their GOH at their 1st anniversary event tomorrow would get stuck too.
No comments:
Post a Comment