Synopsization
Just went for an interview with one of the bigger info-comm service providers here for the position of writer. Actually when I got the call to go for an intv, I was telling zb that I have a feeling this won't work out. I just didn't feel enthu enough for it, I think. But anyways, the more that I read about the company and the website content, the li'l more expectant I got. Would be fun to hear about how and what they do there to produce such print and web content, and might actually be quite cool to join 'em. Or so I thought.
Given a day's notice, I read up the website of not only the company, but also the other two big players. Just to compare the style of writing ya know, as well as learn abit more about Blackberry, 2.5G (didn't know!) and 3G, etc. And I even went to buy some new tops like 30 mins before the shops closed ('thanks' to my Bro)! Guess I haven't been to an intv in a while, so kinda rusty and nervous.
Actually, since I left the Dusk Kampung, I ain't in much of a hurry tanother village or city (preferably). The higher the expectation, the harder you'll crash. Haha, yes, warped as usual, but true!! I want something better and so am more cautious... and resist taking up any rubbish just to get through life richer but poorer. Get what I mean?
ANYWAY (yes, I do realise that I'm not a good storyteller!!!), to summarise the experience, it was tiring (felt like I've worked half a day if not the full day kinda feeling), draggy and funny. I was there for like FOUR *&&^%* hours~! First, filled in form at reception and watched the programmes on 17 TVs while waiting. Then, walked like 10 mins to the BoredRoom for some written test, along with 5 other gals interviewing for the same job.
Guy came in and talked about job scope. Written test another 30 mins. Basically, main job is to summarise each chunk of show synopses into a short paragraph of around 40 words for their monthly mag! Totally not what I'd expected and looked forward to. In fact, the stuff that I'd rather do (eg, copy for ads, websites) are on an ad hoc basis and constitute about only 10% or less of the work.
Then, we waited. For 1st interviewee to come out from intv with the Guy.
And, we waited. For the 2nd interviewee to come out from room next door.
Waited somemore. Until left me and another gal. We chatted and I think neither of us is very keen in the job after hearing from him. We actually played 1 round of scissors, papers, stone to decide who would go 2nd last! I think I was probably the 2nd oldest person there, judging by looks. But heehee, I got a very surprised reaction from the 1st interviewee when I chatted with her and told her that I graduated like 3 years ago. \o/ That was her 1st interview since graduation.
Anyways, the intv with Guy was quite short and weird. As with those in the creative line who seem to be absorbed in their own world pretty easily, he talked about irrelevant things lor. From his dream of flying (on planes lah), to preaching about how we should pursue our dreams, especially when I'm still 'young', to work-related questions, to his boasting of the set-up of his department, and to which church we go to. I ended with a question - which I later think to be redundant as there just isn't such an opportunity - and suggested that we end the intv (since it was KO-time, 6pm!!). Something like that. Haha!!
GrRrrr. I had a headache when I finally dragged myself home. Qite a waste of time lor. I think Entertainment's not my cuppa tea... Can't imagine putting in my life and efforts into producing something that doesn't add educational value (shucks I also dun want education anymore!) or value with a longer lasting effect.
I certainly don't want to synopsize my life like that.
Friday, April 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment