Wednesday, April 23, 2003

Hmm, was thinking about Identity today, probably inspired by my soci readings. Ha!

Becos it is situational, and circumstantial, it means we dun really have a real / true identity or self.
It evolves with time and place.
What I define as my identity now (such as character / personality) may change in the future.
The way i present myself, can also vary (although not to a large degree) from situation to situation.

Its also about who i claim to be... "I AM _____" This can be quite a difficult blank to fill in!
Since i'm studying about race and ethnic relations, the fave controversial topic would be: "I AM a Chinese".... but if you ask me to define what does being a Chinese, etc encompass, I'm afraid that's where the identity crisis comes in.. =O Language (i dun speak perfect mandarin)? Religion (am a christian)? Color (a suntan can change that)? Should a 'pure chinese' have all these traits? =b

Permenance is probably what i'm looking for when talking about a 'true' self. But why should it be? Haven't got the answer...
Something real is supposed to last forever.... isn't it?
The (existential?) anxiety hits when i feel lost as an individual, not being able to differentiate myself from others if i can really claim whatever identity / character that i wana be... can i really?.......

As the cliche goes, the only permenant thing is change!
O_o HmMMmmz.

No comments: